Alopecia secondary prevention
Alopecia secondary prevention On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Alopecia secondary prevention
The aim of secondary prevention of alopecia is to stop progression and improve the chances of hair regrowth. This is achieved by treatment of underlying conditions, medications, and removal of any offending agents.
- Goal of treatment is to avoid future hair loss. Medications, if used, should be continued as stoppage will cause hair loss to resume.
- Scarring hair loss prevents hair from going back.
- Wigs and hair transplants
- Anagen effluvium
- Telogen effluvium
- Stress the recovery is normal
- Treat underlying cause of alopecia
- Hypothermia caps: This may help to prevent hair loss during some kinds of chemotherapy, specifically when tazanes or anthracyclines are used. It should not be used when cancer has metastasized to the skin of the scalp or for lymphoma or leukemia. There are generally only minor side effects from treatment.
- Acceptance: Some people, including celebrities, choose to accept their hair loss or completely shave their heads. Examples of celebrities who are bald include Michael Jordan,  Zinedine Zidane,  Dwayne Johnson, Ben Kingsley, and Jason Statham.
- Grevelman, E.G.; Breed, W.P.M. (March 2005). "Prevention of chemotherapy-induced hair loss by scalp cooling". Annals of Oncology. 16 (3): 352–358. doi:10.1093/annonc/mdi088. PMID 15642703.
- Breed, Wim P. M. (1 January 2004). "What is wrong with the 30-year-old practice of scalp cooling for the prevention of chemotherapy-induced hair loss?". Supportive Care in Cancer. 12 (1): 3–5. doi:10.1007/s00520-003-0551-8. PMID 14615930.
- Komen, Manon M.C.; Smorenburg, Carolien H.; van den Hurk, Corina J.G.; Nortier, J.W.R. (Hans) (2011). "Hoofdhuidkoeling tegen alopecia door chemotherapie" [Scalp cooling for chemotherapy-induced alopecia] (PDF). Nederlands tijdschrift voor geneeskunde (in Dutch). 155 (45): A3768. PMID 22085565.
- Gaines, Cork (17 April 2020). "Michael Jordan once turned down a huge endorsement deal because he didn't like the product's name and another one because he was going bald". Business Insider.
- Will (5 March 2020). "The Bald Icons: Who is Zinedine Zidane?". The Bald Brothers. Retrieved 9 June 2020.[self-published source?]
- Bryant, Kenzie (3 April 2017). "Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson Explains Why He's Bald". Vanity Fair.
- Steele, Francesca (19 April 2014). "Ferdinand Kingsley interview: 'Yeah, but mum's dad was totally bald too!'". Spectator. Retrieved 8 June 2020.
- Huynh, Mike (24 July 2019). "Jason Statham Is Showing Bald Men How To Look Stylishly Masculine". DMARGE. Retrieved 9 June 2020.